Hi everyone, here are our five musical recommendations of the week!
(Click on the Book/eBook/CD/DVD or book cover to request the item)
The Commitments (1991) (Format: Blu-ray but also available on regular DVD):
Dubliner Jimmy Rabbitte (Robert Arkins) decides to put together a traditional R&B band but find R&B musicians are a bit hard to find in Dublin. So Rabbitte holds auditions, hires a few players that can play R&B and finds two sensational R&B musicians a horn player named Joey “The Lips” Fagan (Johnny Murphy) and Deco Cuffe (Andrew Strong) a street car conductor who sings like he’s just walked out of 1960s Stax recording session. The band, dubbed The Commitments, begins playing to sold out clubs and Jimmy is determined to get the band recorded but that turns out to be harder than it sounds.
The movie is full of great upbeat R&B music and is great fun to watch!
Threads (2019) by Sheryl Crow (Format: CD):
Back in 1992, while I was working at Sam Goody a rockin’ gal named Sheryl Crow released her first LP. It was titled Tuesday Night Music Club and it featured great roots rock music including the songs All I Want To Do, No One Said It Would Be Easy and Leaving Las Vegas. Twenty-six years later Sheryl has released her thirteenth album and it too features great roots rock music! Check it out!
1. Prove You Wrong
2. Live Wire
3. Tell Me When It’s Over
4. Story Of Everything
5. Beware Of Darkness
6. Redemption Day
7. Cross Creek Road
8. Everything Is Broken
9. The Worst
10. Lonely Alone
11. Border Lord
12. Still The Good Old Days
13. Wouldn’t Want To Be Like You
15. Nobody’s Perfect
16. Flying Blind
17. For The Sake Of Love
Preachin’ The Blues: The Life of Son House by Daniel Beaumont (Format: Print Book):
Preachin’ The Blues offers insight into the life and music of the great blues guitarist and singer singer Son House (1902-1988). House was born Eddie James House Jr. in 1902 in Riverton, Mississippi and began playing the guitar as a youth. He developed a new style that contained uniquely repetitive guitar playing with his raw gospel tinged vocals. House recorded in the 1930s and 1940s and then disappeared from public view and spent the succeeding twenty years living in obscurity in Rochester, New York before being rediscovered in the 1960s. Today Son House is considered one of the best of the Delta Blues musicians of the early twentieth century – and this is his story.
Six Classic Albums Plus Bonus Singles by The Maddox Brothers & Rose (Format: CD):
The Maddox Brothers and Rose were a rockin’ country band that played rockabilly music before there was a name for it. The band featured six siblings, five brothers, Cliff, Cal, Fred, Don and Henry and their sister Rose. They called themselves “America’s Most Colorful Hillbilly band”, and their music was featured in the recent Ken Burns PBS series Country Music.
The group’s recording heyday was in the 1940s and 1950s and this collection features 96 songs from seven vintage albums on four discs. The albums are: A Collection of Standard Songs, I’ll Write Your Name In The Sand, One Rose, Glory Bound Train, A Big Bouquet Of Roses and Rose Maddox Sings.
The group’s most popular songs include I Wish I Was A Single Girl Again, No Help Wanted, You’ve Been Talking In Your Sleep and No One Is Sweeter Than You. If you haven’t heard the music of this great rockabilly band before – check it out!
Woodstock: Back To The Garden 50Th Anniversary Collection (2019) by Various Artists (Format: CD):
This is a newly issued 42 song collection of recordings made at the original Woodstock in 1969. The producer for this re-mixed collection, Andy Zax, noted that original tapes “are the sonic equivalent of heirloom tomatoes — slightly imperfect, but delicious;” and with that idea in mind the production team for this issue did the bare bones minimum of tweaking the music for this collection so that listeners might hear the music as it was heard fifty years ago.
This collection features the following songs:
1. Handsome Johnny (2019 Mix) – By Richie Havens
2. Freedom (Live at Woodstock, Bethel, NY, 8/15/1969) [2019 Mix] – By Richie Havens
3. “Everybody’s ground getting comfortable?” (2019 Mix) – By John Morris
4. Reason To Believe (2019 Mix) – By Tim Hardin
5. “It’s deadly serious, man” (2019 Mix) – By John Morris
6. Coming Into Los Angeles (2019 Mix) – By Arlo Guthrie
7. “Lotta freaks!” (2019 Mix) – By Arlo Guthrie
8. Drug Store Truck Drivin’ Man (with Jeffrey Shurtleff) [2019 Mix] – By Joan Baez
9. “Please come down” (2019 Mix) – By Chip Monck
10. The “Fish” Cheer/I-Feel-Like-I’m-Fixin’-To-Die Rag (2019 Mix) – By Country Joe McDonald
11. Jingo (2019 Mix) – By Santana
12. Soul Sacrifice (2019 Mix) – By Santana
13. “Helen Savage, please call your father” (2019 Mix) – By Chip Monck
14. Darling Be Home Soon (2019 Mix) – By John Sebastian
15. “It’s not poison!” (2019 Mix) – By Wavy Gravy
16. Going Up The Country (2019 Mix) – By Canned Heat
17. On The Road Again (2019 Mix) – By Canned Heat
1. “Country common sense” (2019 Mix) – By Chip Monck, Country Joe McDonald, Ken Babbs
2. Dark Star (2019 Mix) – By Grateful Dead
3. “We’ve got the keys to your house” (2019 Mix) – By JOHN MORRIS
4. Bad Moon Rising (2019 Mix) – By Creedence Clearwater Revival
5. I Put a Spell On You (2019 Mix) – By Creedence Clearwater Revival
6. Kozmic Blues (2019 Mix) – By Janis Joplin
7. Piece Of My Heart (2019 Mix) – By Janis Joplin
8. Medley: Dance To The Music / Music Lover / I Want To Take You Higher (2019 Mix) – By Sly & The Family Stone
9. We’re Not Gonna Take It (2019 Mix) – By The Who
10. My Generation (2019 Mix) – By The Who
11. Somebody To Love (2019 Mix) – By Jefferson Airplane
12. Volunteers (2019 Mix) – By Jefferson Airplane
13. “We must be in Heaven, man!” (2019 Mix) – By Wavy Gravy
1. “I think you people have proven something to the world” (2019 Mix) – By Max Yasgur
2. With A Little Help From My Friends (2019 Mix) – By Joe Cocker
3. “Looks like we’re gonna get a little bit of rain” (2019 Mix) – By JOHN MORRIS
4. I’m Going Home (2019 Mix) – By Ten Years After
5. The Weight (2019 Mix) – By The Band
6. Spinning Wheel (2019 Mix) – By Blood, Sweat & Tears
7. Suite: Judy Blue Eyes (2019 Mix) – By Crosby, Stills & Nash
8. Sea Of Madness (2019 Mix) – By Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young
9. Wooden Ships (2019 Mix) – By Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young
10. Love March (2019 Mix) – By The Butterfield Blues Band
11. At The Hop (2019 Mix) – By Sha Na Na
12. “It’s been a delight seeing you” (2019 Mix) – By Chip Monck
Videos Of The Week:
Mustang Sally by The Commitments
Treat Her Right by The Commitments
Still The Good Old Days by Sheryl Crow with Joe Walsh
Tell Me When It’s Over by Sheryl Crow with Chris Stapleton
Grinnin’ In Your Face by Son House
Mini-Concert: including the songs Death Letter Blues, John the Revelator, Preachin’ the Blues & I Wanna Live so God Can Use Me by Son House
George’s Playhouse Boogie by The Maddox Brothers & Rose
Love Is Strange by The Maddox Brothers & Rose
Coming Into Los Angeles by Arlo Guthrie
Dark Star by The Grateful Dead
Soul Sacrifice by Santana
Volunteers by Jefferson Airplane
Cause’ I Love You by Rufus & Carla Thomas
Nobody’s Fault by Mine by Blind Willie Johnson
Treat Her Right by Roy Head
Woke Up This Morning by Lightin’ Hopkins
Have a great weekend!
Linda Reimer, SSCL
The Billboard Book of Top 40 Hits by Joel Whitburn
Online Catalog Links:
The catalog of physical materials, i.e. print books, DVDs, audiobooks on CD, etc.
The Digital Catalog (OverDrive)
The catalog of e-books, downloadable audiobooks and a handful of streaming videos.
ABOUT LIBRARY APPS: Libby & RBDigital:
You can access digital library content on PCs, Macs and mobile devices. For mobile devices simply download the Libby and/or the RBDigital app, to check out eBooks, downloadable audiobooks and on-demand magazines, from your app store to get started. If you have questions call the library at 607-936-3713 and one of our tech coaches will be happy to assist you.
Tech Talk is a Southeast Steuben County Library blog.