Here’s a link to a PDF list of the new items that have just been added to the STLS Digital Catalog!
And by “items” I mean new e-books, downloadable audio books, videos and albums that you can check out through the STLS Digital Catalog.
E-Books and downloadable audios can be checked out to the great majority of e-readers and tablets. Videos and albums must be downloaded to a computer to enjoy — although the option to stream videos to most internet connected devices instead of downloading them is coming in the near future — and I’ll loudly proclaim that fact that that option is available in this blog — just as soon as it becomes available!
Here’s a link to the PDF list of new titles:
And here’s a direct link to the STLS Digital Catalog so you can browse for e-books, audios and videos*
Have a great weekend!
* You can also access the STLS Digital Catalog by going to our website, SSCLIBRARY.ORG, and clicking on the STLS Digital Catalog link located on the right hand side of the page.
There are several new online resources available to patrons through the Southeast Steuben County Library website and one of them is a neat database for kids called “Kids Info Bits.” And Kids Info Bits can actually be thought of as a cool online library for kids and anyone else who is looking for basic information on a variety of topics.
The Kids Info Bits library has twelve general categories:
- Science & Math
- Stories & Literature
- History & Social Studies
- Inventions & Technology
- Arts & Entertainment
And you’ll find even more resources under the umbrella of those menu categories!
For example, if you select the Science & Math category you’ll find articles and information within the following Science & Math sub-categories:
- Space & Astronomy
- Earth Science
- Chemistry & Physical Sciences
- Biology & Nature
- Human Body
- Math & Measurement
- Science & Inventors
And if you select the History & Social Studies category you’ll find articles and information within the following History & Social Studies sub-categories:
- U.S. History
- World History
- Government & Politics
- Social Studies
- Ethnic Groups
- Money, Business & Economy
- Historical People
- U.S. Presidents
- Other Government & Political Leaders
And then under the sub-category sections there are even more subjects you can choose!
For example, if you select the Math & Science sub-category of “Space & Astronomy” a menu will display offering you articles and information on the following subjects:
- Black holes
- Life on other planets
- Meteors and meteorites
- Milky Way Galaxy
- Moon (Earth’s)
- Moon flights and landings
- Moons of other planets
- Northern and southern lights (Auroras)
- Rockets and spacecraft
- Solar system
- Space flight
- Space probes
- Space shuttles
- Space stations
And likewise if you select the History & Social Studies sub-category of “U.S. History” a menu will display offering you articles and information on the following subjects:
- American Indian history
- American Revolution, 1775-1783
- Civil rights movement
- Colonial America (Thirteen Colonies), 1600-1775
- Declaration of Independence, 1776
- Discovery and exploration of America
- Frontier and pioneer life
- Great Depression, 1929-1934
- Immigration and immigrants
- Korean War, 1950-1953
- Lewis and Clark Expedition, 1804-1806
- Louisiana Purchase, 1803
- Persian Gulf War, 1991
- Pilgrims (Plymouth Colony)
- United States Civil War, 1861-1865
- United States Constitution and Bill of Rights
- United States history in general
- United States history, 1783-1900
- United States history, 1901-2000
- Vietnam War, 1961-1975
- War of 1812
- World War I, 1914-1918
- World War II, 1939-1945
Also of note, under each sub-category there are tabs that offer you even more ways to acess information – they include: “Reference,” “Magazine,” “Newspapers,” “Maps, Flags & Seals,” “Charts & Graphs,” and “Imagines.”
So there is a great deal of cool information to be found in the Kids Info Bits library which is a free resource for patrons to use via the link on the library’s homepage and which contains information you will not necessarily find for free by doing a Google search.
To access the Kids Info Bits library:
1) Go to the library’s homepage found at: http://ssclibrary.org/
2) Click on the Research link located near the top of the page (it is found on the fifth book spine from the left which is green) – the Research page will display.
3) On the Research page click on the Subscription Services link and the list of Subscription Services page will display.
4) And then click on the Kids Info Bits link – which is the first link on the list and presto you’ll enter the Kids Info Bits library – sort of a mini-library within the larger online resources of the Southeast Steuben County Library.
Kids Info Bits is a cool resource and I urge everyone to check it out!
Have a great day!