Hi everyone, I usually get this list out on Friday for your weekend reading pleasure; however, I didn’t quite manage that on Friday as it was busy in Library Land!
So here is list of interesting tech stories from the past week that you might have missed!
Tech Stories Week of November 10 – November 16, 2014
- News Apps: The New York Times offered a neat article that highlights some of the best news apps:
Eaton, Kit. (10 November, 2014). Hold the Phone: There’s Breaking News! Flipboard, Circa and Other Apps to Keep Track of the News. New York Times. Online. Accessed November 10, 2014.
- Net Neutrality: Here are links to four articles on the subject of Net Neutrality, President Obama’s public suggestion that the Internet should be regulated just like public utility and just why the subject of Net Neutrality is a huge deal:
Article 1 is from CBS:
Peterson, Kim (11 November, 2014) 5 things you should know about net neutrality. CBS News. Online. Accessed November 11, 2014.
Article 2 is from the re/code site:
Schatz, Amy., & Kafka, Peter. What President Obama’s Net Neutrality Proposal Means. recode. Online. Accessed November 10, 2014.
Article 3 is from the New York Times:
Wyatt, Edward. (10 November, 2014). Obama Asks F.C.C. to Adpot Tought Net Neutrality Rules. New York Times. Online. Accessed November 10, 2014.
And article 4 is from SF Gate:
Garofoli, Joe. (10 November, 2014). Obama’s defense of net neutrality sets up battle with Congress. SFGate. Online. Accessed November 11, 2014.
- Using the Google Chromecast as a Game Controller: The re/code site offered an article on how you can use your smartphone as a game controller if you own, or buy, the $35 Google Chromecast media/streamer player:
Johnson, Eric. (11, November 2014). The Smartphone Is the New Party-Game Controller on Chromecast. recode. Online. Accessed November 11, 2014.
- PC Magazine showcased the new 3 D Foodini printer that “prints” food for you to cook!
Mlot, Stephanie. (7 November, 2014). 3D Print Your Dinner With Foodini. PC Magazine. Online. Accessed November 12, 2014.
And should you wish to check out the Foodini website – here’s the link:
- Sharing of Data: NPR offered an interesting article on how Internet users data is being compiled and used by online companies – and what data people are comfortable sharing with the universe and just what data people would rather have stay private:
- Comet Landing: BBC News offered a nice visual article on the first ever human comet landing:
Amoz, Jonathan. (13 November, 2014). Rosetta; Battery will limit life of Philae comment lander. BBC News. Online. Accessed November 14, 2014.
- Popular Science Most Innovated Inventions 2014: CBS Morning News offered a cool segment that highlighted some of the top 100 most innovated technology items as ranked by Popular Science:
- And on the e-book front the New York Times offered an article that offers information on Amazon and the Hachette Publishing company finally agreeing on new sales terms so Hachette books will be easy to get through Amazon once more:
Have a great day!